The Church of Agios Titos

Monument & Heritage Check location

The Church of Agios Titos (Saint Titus) was originally built after the liberation of Crete by Nikiforos Fokas in 961 AD. Though it was turned into a catholic church during the Venetian period, it did not lose its Byzantine character, which was unaltered since interior decorative features, orthodox relics and Byzantine icons remained intact.

Significant damage seems to have been caused by an earthquake in 1446, but the church was quickly restored. In 1557 it was almost completely rebuilt from the foundations, after the great fire of 1554. With the reconstruction in 1557 it acquired a square basilica with a central dome, and a bell tower in the southwest corner. It was converted into a mosque during the Turkish occupation.

Contacts & Details

Saint Titus Square 712 02