Teatro Carlos Alberto (TECA)

Place of Interest Check location

Hidden on the back of the Viscondes de Balsemão palace is the TeCA, or Carlos Alberto Theatre. The theatre, named after King Carlos Alberto da Sardenha, was inaugurated in 1897, being a space dedicated to the presentation of popular shows such as operettas, light theater and cinema.

After having been used for years only by the secretary of state, the auditorium of Carlos Alberto ceded its space for rent in the late 70’s, and later the building was then acquired by Porto 2001 in the European capital of culture. After restoration, in 2003 the building reopens to the public under the administration of the São João National Theater, allowing presentations with different dispositions – to the Italian, in amphitheater or as circular room.

Contacts & Details

Rua das Oliveiras, 43 4050-449 Porto