Soviet War Memorial (Treptower Park)

Green Space Always Open (possibly closed due Covid-19 restrictions) Check location

Once the location of the Great Industrial Exposition of Berlin in 1896, the Treptower Park is now a popular place for recreation, with boats for trips along the river Spree and well-preserved houseboats. But the second-largest park of Berlin is also home of the Soviet War Memorial, built after the Second World War and a cemetery for 7.000 Soviet soldiers, from the 80.000 who died fighting to capture Berlin.

The entrance is made through a large triumphal arch framed by trees and green grass. The Treptower memorial is the biggest in Germany and was built between 1946 and 1949, under the direction of the architect Yakov S. Belopolski, the sculptor Yevgeni V. Vuchetich, the painter Alexander A. Karpenko and the engineer Sarra S. Valerius.

The result of the effort is a symmetrically laid-out memorial, with lawns that symbolize the communal graves and a mausoleum at the top of the hill, with the statue of a Soviet soldier carrying a child in one hand and resting his sword on a shattered swastika. The actual cemetery of the Red Army soldiers is behind the sarcophagi, under the plane trees, and the visits are recommended to be respectfully silent.

Contacts & Details

Puschkinallee 12435 Berlin