Place de la Concorde

Place of Interest Always Open (possibly closed due Covid-19 restrictions) Check location

Site of many notorious public executions during the French Revolution – Marie Antoinette was guillotined here in 1793 – the Place de la Concorde is now famous for the Luxor Obelisk, a 3.300 years old Egyptian monument erected on the square in 1836, the beautiful hotels surrounding it and the two monumental fountains, Fontaine des Mers and Fontaine des Fleuves.

The place was designed by Ange-Jacques Gabriel in 1755 as an octagon between the Champs-Elysées to the west and the Tuileries Garden to the east. The centre is occupied by a giant Egyptian obelisk, one of the two the Egyptian government gave to France in the 19th century and that once marked the entrance to the Luxor Temple.

The majestic fountains were designed by Jacques Ignace Hittorf and completed in 1849 during the reign of King Louis-Philippe. Each one commemorates a different stage of France development: the south one represents the maritime commerce and industry, while the north fountain celebrates navigation and commerce on the rivers of France.

Contacts & Details

Place de la Concorde 75008 Paris