Navio-Museu Santo André

Museum Check location

The Navio-Museu Santo Adré is one of the poles of the Museu Marítimo de Ílhavo. Built in 1948 in Netherlands, on order from the Aveiro Fishing Company, as a cod trawler, this vessel was part of the Portuguese fleet of cod fishing. The following year he was registered in the Capitania do Porto de Aveiro. This was also the year that this trawler made its first trip to the sea of Terra Nova.

The first captain in this ship was an Aveiro natural citizen named José Pereira Bela. His last trip was to Norway in 1997. As people didn’t want the memory of cod fishing to be lost, the ship was recuperated and requalified as a ship-museum, having been open to the public since 2001. Built in steel, the Navio Museu Santo André has 71,40 of length and hold for 1200 tonnes of fish.

Contacts & Details

Avenida Dr. Rocha Madahil 3830-193 Ílhavo