Le Couvent des Ursulines

Monument & Heritage Check location

The Ursulines Convent is a 17th century convent transformed into a prison in the 19th century. Located in the district of Sainte-Ursule street, this building is a listed historical monument and currently houses the headquarters of the national choreographic center of Montpellier.

At the start of the second half of the 14th century, the nuns of the order of St. Catherine erected a monastery here. Then around 1640, the convent was built by the architect Jean Bonnassier at the request of the congregation of the Ursulines.

Although used initially for religious purposes, the convent will gradually be reused for various martial reasons. It will then serve as a prison (at the time of the Revolution), then for a few years as military barracks, then again as a prison, in particular a prison for women from 1825 to 1934, and then as a military prison (notably during the Occupation, the Gestapo occupied the convent of the Ursulines as a center of interrogation and retention of resistance fighters) and again as barracks (the Grossetti barracks of the air force) from the post-war period until 1986.

Currently the convent is owned by the city of Montpellier.

Contacts & Details

18 Rue Sainte-Ursule 34000 Montpellier