La Place du Marché-aux-Fleurs

Place of Interest Always Open Check location

The square is bordered by the Hérault Prefecture to the west and the Post Office to the south. Entirely pedestrian, it covers an area of approximately 2,500 m². A fountain by the Spanish sculptor Manuel Clemente Ochoa was installed in the center of the square in 1985.

Before being a public square, this place sheltered the former Capucins convent, destroyed during the Revolution. The open space created took the name of Place des Capucins then Place Louis XVI. From 1883 to 1898, the square was covered by a metal hall, which was destroyed by a fire.

A market of flower, fruits and vegetables stood there at the beginning of the 20th century. A statue of Louis XVI, by sculptor Achille Valois, was installed in the center of the square in 1829. In 1966, the mayor, François Delmas, offered this statue to the city of Louisville in the United States, with which Montpellier is twinned since 1955. The square features the terraces of several restaurants (cafés, ice-cream maker, restaurants).

In recent years, the square has become the focal point of the gay district, a sort of ”Marais” of Montpelier. Several adjacent streets have shops featuring the colors of the community, notably several bars, restaurants and boutiques.

Contacts & Details

Place du Marché aux Fleurs 34000 Montpellier