Igreja do Bom Jesus de Matosinhos

Monument & Heritage Check location

The Bom Jesus de Matosinhos Church is one of the main and oldest destinations for pilgrimage in Portugal, the Festas do Senhor de Matosinhos.

Its construction began in 1559, with the extension of the original church in the 18th century, carried out by the Italian architect Nicolau Nasoni, and which gave it the current configuration.

The Church of Matosinhos is characterized by a granite façade in Baroque style with three portals – the largest central one and decorated with a medallion in which a scallop shell is inserted, and two lateral niches with statues of S. Pedro and S. Paulo. It should also be mentioned the grandeur of the surrounding churchyard.

The interior of the church features a Latin cross plan, divided into three naves and a rectangular main chapel. The high altar is richly decorated in a gold baroque style, and where the image of Christ crucified in real size is found. This image is one of the oldest in the world (late 12th century, early 13th century) attributed to Nicodemus.

In 1982 it was classified Property of Public Interest, being today the Matriz Church of Matosinhos.

Contacts & Details

Rua Silva Cunha, 107 4450-222 Matosinhos