Château de la Piscine

Monument & Heritage Check location

The Château de la Piscine is a Montpellier “folie” of the second half of the 18th century, located 129 avenue de Lodève, which cannot be visited.
At the location of the castle used to stand the old farmhouse of Peyssine.

In the second half of the 18th century, Francois Gaspard Richer of Belleval, entrusted to the most active Montpellier architects in the 18th century, Jean-Antoine Giral, also author of many other Montpellier monuments, the construction of the castle which will be completed in 1771. The family of Belleval remained owner of the castle of Peyssine until 1817.

The property then passes onto various hands to be acquired in 1883 by the collector Alfred Henry Chaber. It is at that time that the name of the building is transformed into “Château de la Piscine”. The son of Alfred Chaber, André, will devote all his attention to restore the gardens into French style in the first half of the twentieth century. It is his granddaughter who watches over the castle and its gardens today.

In April 1965, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, visited the estate on a private trip to France.

The exterior of the castle, the facades and main entrance door with its fittings, the roofs, the large living room and its interior decoration, the green cabinet with its marble chimney and its pier, the vestibule, the wrought iron stair railing, the whole of the park and the works of art, the facade of the old chapel, the small two-winged pavilion, the basins, the statues, the vases and the large gate of the cour d’honneur have been classified as historical monuments since 1942.

Contacts & Details

129 Avenue de Lodève 34000 Montpellier