Chapelle Saint Charles

Place of Interest Check location

In 1678, Louis XIV ordered the creation in Montpellier of a general hospital for the poor and indigent on the site of the Carmelite convent.

The chapel assigned to the hospital, dedicated to Saint Charles, was enlarged and reworked by Jean Giral in 1751 and after by Jacques Nogaret. It has a very particular plan: its two levels of stands, corresponding to the floors of the hospital, allowed the boarders to attend the offices on a level.

Classified as a historic monument in 1947, the chapel now hosts the Maison des Chœurs with rehearsals of the city’s choirs and concerts open to the public.

Contacts & Details

Place Albert, 1er 34000 Montpellier