Catedral de Santa Maria

Monument & Heritage Check location

The Catedral de Santa Maria is located inside the Cathedral Parish in the county of Braga. This is the original bishopric seat that was founded by São Tiago Maior, and the first bishop was São Pedro de Rates. This church is regarded as one of the most important temples in the Romanesque style and there are many famous people buried in the tombs within the walls.

Some of the most famous burials are that of Henry of Burgundy as well as his wife Teresa of Leon, fathers of the king D. Afonso Henriques. The construction of this location begin in 1070, but very few pieces of this first construction are present in the modern day design. There is a main temple, Chapel of St. Gerard, Chapel of the Kings, Chapel of Our Lady Glory, Chapel of Our Lady of Mercy, and the Misericórdia church. This location has been renovated throughout the years and the most recent work was completed in 1930 with the construction of the Museum of Sacred Art.

Since 1910 that is classified as a National Monument.

Contacts & Details

Rua Dom Paio Mendes 4700-424 Braga