Capela de São Frutuoso de Montélios

Monument & Heritage Check location

The Capela de São Frutuoso de Montélios is a pre-Romanesque chapel that was built in the 7th century by the Visigoths with influences of the Greek Cross. The name “Montélios” means small hill (“monte pequeno”).

The chapel has undergone several renovations over the centuries, but one of the biggest changes occurred in 1523 when it was incorporated into the convent of São Francisco. Ernest Korrodi, a renowned architect, is one of the main reasons that the chapel underwent repairs. However, the notations that he made were not actually carried out until the twentieth century.

This is a structure that became a National Monument in Portugal in 1944.

Contacts & Details

Rua São Salvador de Montélios 4700-294 Braga